Program Sponsored by
What is Leadership Carmel?
Leadership Carmel is a 9-month professional development program designed to help current and future leaders in business and other community organizations develop their leadership skills, community knowledge, and professional networks. Through the program, participants will learn and refine their leadership styles, meet and make connections with leaders in the community, and discover opportunities for community engagement and involvement.
What can I expect to gain?
After you graduate from the Leadership Carmel program, you will be able to:
- Identify, examine, and confront key local and regional issues from a variety of perspectives
- Gain knowledge and exposure to a variety of community agencies and opportunities for involvement and impact
- Analyze and understand leadership styles and utilize your leadership skills to improve your effectiveness as a leader
- Develop and commit to a personal plan for active participation and leadership in your workplace and community
- Develop relationships, connections and networks
The mission of the Leadership Carmel program is to help emerging leaders develop the leadership skills, values, knowledge, and community awareness necessary to serve as effective and visionary leaders in their workplaces and in our community.
Leadership Carmel was created and designed to identify emerging leaders in our community, help them understand and explore the dynamics of current issues facing our community, identify resources available to address the issues, and develop and fine tune their personal and leadership skills in order to be successful at making a difference in areas of community need.
- 9-month Program, September 2021 – May 2022
- One Friday each month, 9am-5pm
- + 2 Meetings (Outside of Class – City Council Mtg & Non-Profit Mtg)
- + Class Project Mtgs (Outside of Class)
- Time Commitment
- Students’ attendance is required at all 9 Day Sessions (8 hours per month). Once the class project has been determined, students will spend additional time outside of regular class sessions to plan and implement the project. Class members are also required to attend two Public Meetings during the course of the program.
How does it Work?
The Leadership Carmel program runs September to May and will kick off with an orientation to introduce and welcome the class to each other and to the program requirements. Then, class members will attend a class retreat activity in which they will get to know their leadership styles, the styles of their cohorts, and will further learn about the program requirements.
Leadership Carmel participants have monthly day sessions which will provide them with a deeper understanding of the issues surrounding our community, what makes it great, and how it functions.
Students will also take part in a community project. The class will select, plan, and implement a project that will impact Carmel and/or the surrounding community in a positive way.
$995 for Chamber Members, $1,095 for non-members. This is inclusive of all materials, and the class retreat. This not include incidental costs such as lunch.
A limited number of partial scholarships are available and are subject to committee review for approval. Consideration for a scholarship must be requested in writing when submitting this application to the Carmel Chamber of Commerce.
Who should apply?
All community members who seek to increase their role in community affairs, expand their knowledge of Carmel and develop relationships with influential and involved community members. This program brings together applicants who display a commitment to the purpose of Leadership Carmel.
Current leaders and those who aspire for leadership roles are perfect candidates for this program. For each leadership class, 10-15 community members ages 21+ are selected on the following criteria:
- Commitment to self-development and regional development;
- Desire for community involvement;
- Ability to discuss and propose solutions for community issues; and
- Potential for visionary leadership.
How do I apply?
Applications are due by July 31, 2021. Applicants must go through an interview before they can be accepted into the program.
Contact Jenny MacMurdo at email@example.com
or 831-624-3877 x203 if you have any questions.